Monday 16 January 2012

Sally Ann Howes - Wonderful Woman No. 11



Sally Ann Howes - Born 1930
British Actress


When people ask what my favourite film is, they generally are not expecting me to say Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. You might think that a woman in her thirties should prefer something altogether more mature, sophisticated and deep. Well, it is as much fun watching it now as it was when I first saw it as a seven year old child and for that, I cannot apologise.

Sally Ann plays Truly Scrumptious in the film. She is beautiful, kind, has a lovely singing voice, drives a lovely car and spends much of the film flouncing about in a white dress. She was precisely the woman I hoped I would grow up to be.

At the time of seeing the film, I was being taught by another wonderful woman, Mrs Dudley (the best teacher I ever had, if I could have gone to live with her, I would have been ecstatic). The day after seeing the film for the first time, I flounced into school (sadly not in a white dress) and asked Mrs Dudley if she would call me Truly instead of Sally. She gladly obliged and for the rest of the day I responded willingly to my new name. Perhaps someone should have pointed out to me that the actress playing Truly and I actually shared a name!

No comments:

Post a Comment