Saturday 28 January 2012

Annie Nightingale - Wonderful Woman No. 23



Annie Nightingale - Born 1942
British DJ


Radio 1 was a massive part of my formative years. I listened to it almost constantly. I remember rushing home from school to listen to my favourite show, Steve Wright in the afternoon and on a weekly basis trying to tape my favourite songs from the Top 40, without catching Mark Goodier's voice. I used to think when I grew older, I would still always listen to Radio 1, that I would keep up with what was in the charts and not be like my mother, listening to Radio 2 and Classic FM. I now do both of those things, of course, and very, very rarely switch to Radio 1 these days.

Annie Nightingale was the first female presenter on the station, she began broadcasting her first show on New Years Day 1970. Since the death of John Peel, Annie is now the longest serving presenter at the station. She has presented a variety of shows including the genres of progressive rock, punk, breaks and most foundly remembered by me is her Chill Out Zone, where she played a variety of laid-back 'dance' (for want of a better word) music.

I am a female DJ myself, I present a show on local radio, I would say Annie is definitely an inspiration in this respect. There are plenty of other girls on the radio these days and playing in the clubs, even so, Annie paved the way for us. She has a fantastic broadcasting style but most importantly, she has the knowledge about what she is playing and can convey this without sounding too much like a music encyclopaedia preaching at the listener through the airwaves. What's more, it is clear that she loves the music she plays and that is what I want, not just someone gabbing away in between a playlist of songs they care nothing about.

I think the relationship between a DJ and audience should be intensely personal and connected. Like sex really.
Annie Nightingale


The only way to end this entry is with one of Annie's favourite songs;

No comments:

Post a Comment