Sunday 15 January 2012

Mary Shelley - Wonderful Woman No. 10



Mary Shelley - 1797-1851
British Author


I read Mary Shelley's most famous work, Frankenstein, whilst studying for my A-levels. I was really taken in by the book, with all it's twists and turns. I thoroughly enjoyed the idea of reading the letters sent by Captain Robert Walton and how they began to tell the story of Dr. Frankenstein and his creation.

I love to find myself caught up in the imagery of the story I am reading. This book really ticked a lot of boxes for me and I remember feeling excited about writing my essay about the book at the end. Frankenstein really is a wonderfully well written story, with powerful content. It is completely understandable why this novel became the huge success it continues to be and why so many films have been made based on a piece of gothic literature that was first published in 1818.

The creation of this novel alone makes Mary a truly wonderful woman. It is worth noting though, that she wrote many other novels (including a number of historical ones), biographies, essays and even some travel literature. She also edited and promoted work by her husband, the celebrated poet, Percy Shelley. She was a vehement feminist (as her mother, Mary Wollstonecraft, had been before her) and a political activist, many of her work being a platform for voicing opinions on social reform and change.


I do not wish women to have power over men; but over themselves.
Mary Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment