Saturday 21 January 2012

Betty Boo - Wonderful Woman No. 18



Betty Boo - Born 1970
British Singer, Songwriter and Pop-Rap Artist


I remember the Christmas of 1990 extremely well. I was 12 years old and on holiday in Lanzarote with my family. We spent Christmas in the sun every year, this had many advantages but a disadvantage was that my siblings and I received only a few presents on the day (light ones that wouldn't have inflicted the cost of excess baggage on my parents). That year, I received a yellow Sony Walkman (which I thought was amazing) with two cassettes; One was Madonna's Immaculate Collection (which I loved) and the other was Betty Boo's Boomania.

She's quite lovely.
Owain, A Wonderful Man


Boomania was actually a great album for a twelve year old girl to listen to. The lyrics were empowering and were never overtly sexual. It was no seminal hip-hop album by any means but maybe a good introduction to certain sounds. I particularly liked the song Hey DJ (I can't dance to the music you're playing) and, you know, thinking back, it may have been a little ahead of it's time - when you consider the recent commercial successes of the likes of Jessie J and Cher Lloyd. The album also used samples of Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, The Velvelettes and Sly and The Family Stone.

I learned the words to every song on that album and I played the cassette until it would play no more... for the time that it did Betty Boo and my Sony Walkman were both pretty wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment