Saturday 10 March 2012

Stevie Nicks - Wonderful Woman No. 68



Stevie Nicks - Born 1948
American Singer, Songwriter, Musician and Charity Founder

Added to the album by Howie, a wonderful man


*Please read the footnote after the YouTube video.

I think most young girls (possibly young boys too) have an older girl they look up to, a relation, family friend or neighbour. For me, it was my older cousin Jayne, now a very wonderful woman and mother herself. Whenever I hear Stevie Nicks, I think of her as a teenager, listening to music and tolerating me, the younger cousin who idolised her.

For her sixteenth birthday, Stevie was given a guitar and with it she wrote her first song. Soon after she was performing on stage. She met and began a romantic relationship with Lindsey Buckingham , with whom she formed the band Buckingham Nicks and signed her first record deal.

In 1974, Buckingham Nicks joined the band Fleetwood Mac and it was during this time that Stevie found fame. The band recorded some absolutely amazing songs including Dreams - a personal favourite and one penned by Stevie. The band enjoyed mainstream success in the 1070s and 80s and have released further albums since and occasionally still tour together. With the band, Stevie wrote and performed on thirteen albums.

Stevie has also released no fewer than seven solo studio albums and toured extensively. She has received numerous awards and is widely revered within the music industry; Courtney Love (Wonderful Woman No. 13 - http://iamawonderfulwoman.blogspot.com/2012/01/courtney-love-wonderful-woman-no-13.html) and Tori Amos (Wonderful Woman No. 28 - http://iamawonderfulwoman.blogspot.com/2012/01/tori-amos-wonderful-woman-no-28.html) being amongst those who list her as an influence.

She captures the mystery and sexuality and innocence of rock and roll. You feel that she's hanging on by a thread but is much stronger than she lets on.
Sandra Bernhard, Comedian / Singer


Stevie has overcome addiction of both cocaine and prescription drugs, with the help of Betty Ford (Wonderful Woman No. 24 - http://iamawonderfulwoman.blogspot.com/2012/01/betty-ford-wonderful-woman-no-24.html) .

In 2004, Stevie founded the charity Stevie Nicks' Band of Soldiers, which assists wounded soldiers. Stevie has performed and visited the soldiers and the charity aims to give each wounded soldier an iPod, filled with music specially selected by Stevie herself.

In my estimation music is the best thing you can possibly give to them, because it's the only thing that's going to get them up out of the bed.
Stevie Nicks


So many reasons to have her here in this album. An amazing woman.

I want to always be free to follow my art wherever it takes me.
Stevie Nicks


tevie nicks


***NOTE: For reasons I am yet to understand, Facebook has mixed up the order of the photos in the original album. I was using this as a reference to order the blog chronologically with when the women were added, I am no long able to do this. I will blog about all the suggested additions (and my own additions), just not in the order they were added. I apologise... if I knew a way to change it back I would! Thanks again for all your contributions xx***

No comments:

Post a Comment