Wednesday 14 March 2012

Kylie & Dannii Minogue - Wonderful Women No. 72 Collectively



Kylie Minogue - Born 1968
Australian Singer, Songwriter and Actress

Dannii Minogue - Born 1971
Australian Singer, Songwriter, Actress and Television Personality

Sisters

Added to the album by Alison, a wonderful woman


I have to admit, there are some women in the album who I am not sure of when they are suggested and truth be told, when Alison's suggestion of the Minogue sisters came in, I did doubt their wonderfulness in my mind. It is not for me to judge who other people are awestruck by, indeed, some of my own entries have been criticised and sniggered at. The point of the album though, is women who have been an influence in the lives of the people who suggest them and so the antipodean siblings are as welcome as anyone else.

And the more I have thought about it, the more I feel that they really do deserve to be in the album after all.

I remember the first time I saw Kylie, I was still at primary school when the Australian soup opera Neighbours began to be broadcast on British television. Kylie played the part of Charlene Ramsey, a young female mechanic, feisty and the love interest of Scott Robinson (played by Jason Donovan, one of the first boys I fell in love with). Not long after Charlene started to be a regular feature at tea-time in our house, I went out and got a ridiculous perm in an attempt to emulate Kylie's look... I think I have now already proved that at least one of the sisters was an influence in my own early life.

A few years later, rival Australian soap Home and Away began to appear on a rival British television station. And soon after Kylie's younger sister Dannii starred in the show.

Both of the sisters went on to have pop careers in the 1990s... I'll be honest, I owned records by both.

Kylie's pop career was more long lived than Dannii's, she has notched up eleven studio albums and four compilations (compared to Dannii's five - still not to be sniffed at). Kylie is renowned for her ostentatious stage tours, which are a spectacle of lights, music, performance and glamour, an experience rather than a pop concert.

The first time we met, I remember we all thought that she was incredibly different to anyone we had met before.
Pete Waterman, Producer


Dannii's pop career was at it's height in the 1990s. She has released a number of records since, particularly with dance music producers. In 2007, she became a judge on the British television show The X-Factor. This role really cemented her as a television personality and has lead to other television work, including being part of the judging panel for Australia's Got Talent.

I've finally been accepted as me. It's a fantastic opportunity, for once, not to be compared with Kylie. At last, I've found my own slot.
Dannii Minogue


Both sisters are considered style icons. Have appeared on stage, screen and television and are successful on both sides of the globe.

Not to mention, they actually seem like nice people.

And another great reason to include them, is the simple fact that they are sisters... sisters can be truly wonderful creatures, I know I have one of my very own.

No comments:

Post a Comment