Wednesday 21 March 2012

Jill Scott - Wonderful Woman No. 80



Jill Scott - Born 1972
American Poet, Singer, Songwriter and Actress

Added to the album by Gemma, a wonderful woman


I absolutely LOVE Jill. My favourite singer & definitely a wonderful woman.
Damian, A Wonderful Man


I feel very fortunate to have seen a live performance of this wonderful woman. She blew me away, such a talent. It is hard not to just start and end with "She's freakin' awesome!" But she deserves more than that. In addition to seeing her live, I also have happy memories of hearing her songs at various events, just yesterday one of my wonderful friends, Phil, reminded me of a night singing along to one her records at the top of my voice at a music weekender. Once again, I find myself writing about someone whose music has been part of the soundtrack to the lives of my friends and I... and once again, I think that this in itself is pretty wonderful.

Jilly from Philly started her career performing poetry and was soon a recording vocalist. While firmly an icon of neo-soul music, Jill's songs are also jazz inspired, with elements of R'N'B, hip-hop and funk. Her lyrics are intense, using her own life experience. She speaks as a strong woman, is open, honest and creative, her voice is fantastic but her lyrics are what make her most fabulous (to me at least).

Scott's real strong suit is her ability to make every woman in the house want to be her friend and every man want to be, as someone tweets afterward, "a better man". You don't have to be African-American, or even female, to feel an affinity: her life, with its stumbles and victories, has endowed her with sisterly sageness.
Caroline Sullivan, The Guardian


She has recorded four studio albums and tours extensively. The best of the music industry queue to work with her, collaborations to date include Erykah Badu (Wonderful Woman No. 45 - http://iamawonderfulwoman.blogspot.it/2012/02/erykah-badu-wonderful-woman-no-45.html), Common and George Duke. She has received massive critical acclaim and received many awards, including three Grammys.

In addition to her career as a musician, Jill has appeared in acting roles on a number of television shows and in some feature films.

Jill founded the Blues Babe Foundation, a charity in her home-town, Philadelphia, which gives support to young people whose families do not have the financial resources to keep them in education. Jill has given a substantial amount of her personal wealth to the charity, as well as offering her time and actively promoting education and progression.

Jilly from Philly, about as cool as it gets in my opinion and wonderful in many, many ways.

Power doesn't have to be on such a big scale for powerful things to occur. Within your own home, you can be a powerful woman as a mother, influencing your children's lives.
Jill Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment