Saturday 3 March 2012

Maggie Smith - Wonderful Woman No. 62



Maggie Smith - Born 1934
British Actress


She's the ultimate.
Lee, A Wonderful Man


When I was studying Performing Arts, I was given the opportunity to perform one of Alan Bennett's Talking Heads monologues, I jumped at the chance, already a huge fan of Bennett's work. My Drama Tutor, a very wonderful man called Andy Tomlinson, gave me the script for Bed Among The Lentils and told me not to watch Maggie Smith's screen version as it would effect my performance. Like the dutiful student I was, I of course went off and sourced the video of Maggie straight away. She was absolutely amazing in the role (as you might imagine) and though I did everything I could to bring my own take to the part, it was impossible to forget Maggie's performance. Afterwards, there were some very kind comparisons and I received a lot of praise for my own performance, I understood though that no matter what I did, as a young drama student in my early twenties, I would never quite match up to the brilliance of Maggie in the screenplay.

I have forever been in awe of her acting abilities since.

Just recently, my Grandmother, a very wonderful woman herself, talked about how fabulous she felt Maggie was in the British period drama Downtown Abbey. No-one else could play that role as well as Maggie, she stressed. No-one indeed, Maggie is a very gifted actress and no other could imitate nor better.

Maggie Smith is – as always – compelling and brilliant.
George Stiles, Producer


Her career spans seven decades of television, theatre and film. She is an Academy Award Winner twice over, with a host of other accolades including Golden Globes and BAFTAs. She is regarded by the great and the good as one of the most impressive actresses and is successful in her native Britain as well as Hollywood.

It is said that Lawrence Olivier was so annoyed that her performance stole the show when they appeared in Othello together, that he vowed never to work with her again. I would consider that the greatest of compliments.

A wonderful woman of stage and screen.

There is a kind of invisible thread between the actor and the audience, and when it's there it's stunning, and there is nothing to match that.
Maggie Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment