Wednesday 15 February 2012

Erykah Badu - Wonderful Woman No. 45



Erykah Badu - Born 1971
American Singer, Songwriter, Music Producer and Actress


Not enough room here for me to say how much I love this woman.
Owain, A Wonderful Man


I could not agree more with Owain's comment. Here is a woman with such talent and strength of character, it is hard to feel somewhat in ore of Erykah Badu.

If you are a regular reader of the Wonderful Women blog, you will know that music is of huge importance to me. As I have said in a previous blog, I have found it hard not to just feature recording artist after recording artist who have had an affect on me at some point in my life. Leaving Erykah out would have been impossible for me, her music has been an important part of my life for such a long time. Her lyrics are emotive and impassioned, she captures what it is to feel fierce, vulnerable, loved, heartbroken, angry, elated and so many other powerful emotions.

I was about 16 or 17 when I saw the Mama's Gun tour, when Erykah was promoting her second album... I can remember thinking what an amazing showwoman she was. She had fine timing and this great sense of drama... I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to see her live.
Amy Winehouse, Another Wonderful Woman


Known as The Queen of Neo Soul, Erykah has produced six solo albums. Her musical style is the epitome of Neo Soul, encompassing jazz, hip hop, R&B, while keeping firmly with the roots of soul. Erykah also takes inspiration from her African heritage, of which she is very proud - her name changed from Erica Wright to reflect her roots, in the belief that her given name was her slave name. She has won a plethora of awards, including four Grammys and three Soul Train Awards. Her work is widely revered and many artists have cited her as a major inspiration.

In addition to her solo career, Erykah has collaborated with some of the music industry's biggest names including Common, Jill Scott, Flying Lotus and is due to appear on the "supergroup," Rocketjuice and the Moon's debut album, to be released next month. She was also a member of the Soulquarians, along with the likes of J Dilla, Q Tip and Mos Def.

Erykah has appeared in a number of feature films, including her role as the Voodoo Queen in Blues Brothers 2000.

Aside from music, Erykah works as a Doula, offering non-medical support to expectant mothers both before and during childbirth. She plans to become a midwife. Her Twitter account often telling us how she has rushed off into the night to help bring a baby into the world.

Nothing gives me more pleasure than being the welcoming committee for a mother's new joy.
Erykah Badu


In 2003, Erykah founded the charity Beautiful Love Incorporated Non Profit Development (BLIND) which works as an outreach programme in deprived areas offering development in the performing arts for under-privileged youths. Erykah not only gives her own money and time to the project but also encourages other successful people in the music industry to volunteer their time and talent.

She is a pretty special individual. Her music has been important to me personally but other than that, I think she herself is someone who strives to see the world a better place... if that isn't wonderful, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment