Friday 3 February 2012

Björk - Wonderful Woman No. 31



Björk - Born 1965
Icelandic Singer, Songwriter & Actress


Added to the album by a wonderful woman called Tara

Creative, unique and successful - These are the things I admire about Bjork most but add to that being a fabulous lyricist and singer, she sure seems pretty wonderful to me.

(Bjork is) more intelligent than most opera singers.
John Tavener, Composer


I remember hearing her for the first time in the 1990s. Her singing style divided opinion, my parents hated her, some of my friends did not understand her, I thought she was amazing. Her lyrics are intensely emotive, I love the quality of her voice and the different sounds she is able to create and I have loved many of her songs, most notable Big Time Sensuality, Violently Happy and Possibly Maybe. She is produced by other people I admire, she has collaborated with people I think are great. As an artist she has just got it right as far as I am concerned.

Often those that are individualistic and creative seem not to receive the credit they deserve but that seems to be different where Bjork is concerned. Of course, many have lined up to be critical but the list of people who credit her as an inspiration is enormous. More over, she has released eight hugely successful albums between 1992 and 2011, has won a plethora of awards including Brit Awards and Icelandic Music Awards in her home nation, she has further been nominated for masses of awards including twelve Grammy nominations and a nomination for an Oscar in the category Best Original Song in a Motion Picture.

As well as a wonderful career in music, Bjork has flirted with a career in film. She has starred in four motion pictures and has also made cameos in a number of others, many of her films also featuring her music.

It was Björk's role in Dancer in the Dark that made me want to be an actor.
Gemma Arterton


What many people admire most about Bjork is her individual style, the way she creates an image, making herself a piece of living art. And also that she is damned feisty, remember when she knocked that photographer to the ground? Maybe we are not supposed to like it when people do that sort of thing but it did make me feel quite impressed by her.

Thank you Tara for another excellent suggestion.

You only live twice, one life for yourself and one for your dreams.
Bjork


Often imitated but never equalled, Bjork a definite wonderful woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment