Sunday 27 May 2012

Miss Honey Dijon - Wonderful Woman No. 106


Miss Honey Dijon - Date of Birth Unknown
American DJ, Music Producer and Record Label Owner

Added to the album by Sarah, A Wonderful Woman


Having seen Miss Honey Dijon DJ a number of times myself, I can testify that she surely is a worthy Wonderful Woman. She is an awesome DJ, brilliantly talented, full of panache and has her own brilliant style behind the decks (not to mention being able to do tequila shots all night long and still look amazing). Regular readers will know that I have my own experience as a DJ and club promoter, it's always great to see other female DJs nominated as Wonderful Women and this one in particular gets a massive green light from me.


Honey plays an eclectic mix of Chicago House, New York Disco and then throws in some funk and soul for good measure. She is a fantastic crowd reader and manages to move people to her way of thinking, of all her gigs I have been to, I have never seen anything other than a packed dancefloor full of happy faces and pumping fists. She is internationally reknowned and has played some of the most exciting clubs in the world, including, Ministry of Sound in London, Pacha in Ibiza and Panorama Bar in Berlin, while holding down two weekly residencies in New York, as well as playing a variety of other events such as fashion shows and festivals. The first time I saw her was at Sankey's Soap in Manchester, at the time my favourite club in the world, the crowd there were a music savvy lot, used to having the best of the best play in our club every weekend and many of us DJs and club promoters ourselves, she rocked it and that night, I fell in love with Honey and have loved and admired her ever since.

As well as being a prolific DJ, Honey owns the Digital Disco record label, which counts the likes of Derrick Carter, DJ Sneak and Luke Solomon among it's released artists. Furthermore, Honey is a successful music producer, with releases on a number of labels.

When Honey appeared in the album, there was a question mark over if transgender women should be included as Wonderful Women. There was no hesitation in my mind, she is a fabulous representation of a Wonderful Woman and I see no reason why we shouldn't celebrate her (and other transgender women) in the same way we celebrate any other woman; she is a woman, she has all the qualities we like and admire in the other women of this album and that is all that matters here. I recently read an interview where she was asked about her sex change and her reply was that she didn't want to discuss that because it isn't as important as the music, I quite agree. Her nominator sums up her inclusion perfectly:

She's all woman to me!
Sarah


Despite the rise in female DJs in recent years, House Music and other electronic genres of music remain dominated by men. To make it in this world, a woman needs raw talent, tenacity and creativity, Honey has them all. She is a wonderful DJ and a great ambassador for female DJs too.

I think music has the power to change lives and to reach you and to make you see yourself and the world in a different light. It’s about acceptance. The dance floor is the one place in the world where you still get all types of people celebrating together and I hope to be able to do that through music.
Miss Honey Dijon

No comments:

Post a Comment